As the warm weather is slowly getting to an end, autumn and leaves falling is beginning and you can enjoy them and the autumn wind by simply making these wind chimes. They will give you a relaxing feeling whenever you go out in the garden to take a fresh breath of air and enjoy a nice glass of wine, or coffee; depending the time of the day.
Things to use:
- empty soda cans
- small punch shape
- butterfly punch
- metal washers
- knife or scissors
- yarn or twigs
Things to do:
- First thing to do is to cut the bottom and the top of the can. Make sure you use something that you feel comfortable with so that you do not get hurt. Probably using a good scissors is the best choice. Once you have done this, cut the can in the middle so it can be put to lie flat.
- Now you can see how the top and the bottom have been cut. If they are not smoothly cut, take the scissors again and trim them in a way they are even and smooth. Make sure the inside of the can is very well washed and dried. It is time to form your butterflies at this point. You would need two butterflies shapes for each butterfly form. Therefore, if you need 7 butterflies, you need 14 shapes, and so on. These will be made with the butterfly shape punch.
- After making all the butterflies shapes, take the small punch shape and start making small holes in the center of each butterfly shape.
- Now take the thread and the needle and start putting each butterfly on the thread. Make sure you use a rather transparent one so that they look like they are floating. When putting the butterflies to the thread put the pattern facing upwards and hold them together by making a basic knot. This way they will hold together and no need to replace them afterwards etc.
- After adding a butterfly add the washers, basically the same way as adding the butterflies. Leave an equal space between them so that it looks profi. Do this until you have finished with all the butterflies and washers.
- When they are all finished and put on the string fold the butterflies wings forward and they will give a 3D look. Depending on where you want to hang out these butterflies chimes use twigs or yarn to hold them together. Tie the longest thread to the center of the twigs and the sorter to the outside of the branches. Then put the rest in the center of the other branches.
- Put them outside and keep them there till winter knocks at the door. You can even leave them through winter time of you live in a more winter friendly country.