Can openers have evolved a long way since the first one appeared back in 1858. Nowadays, they are an essential item in everyone’s kitchen.
Of course, you can open a can without it as well, but it is riskier, more difficult, and time-consuming. No matter how you decide to open the can, you should clean it beforehand. Dirt can easily transfer into the food and contaminate it.
A good can opener should be effective, practical, and durable. It can cut through all type of cans and tins—oval, round, rectangular etc. The price of can openers ranges from around $5 to $50.
Electric can opener or manual can opener?
In need of one but can’t decide? You can choose between the manual and the electric can openers. Are you thinking of replacing your old can opener for something easier and faster? The guide below will help you decide on what you need to take into account.
If you decide on getting a manual can opener, choose something with stainless steel blades as it lasts long. Take into account what kind of handles it has—is it comfortable to use? It usually comes with safety practical features. It is easy to use even for people with smaller hands. It can be cleaned easily. Consider the size too—make sure it is small enough to fit into your kitchen drawers. The manual can opener is a good choice for those households that do not open cans daily.
Some households get their food ingredients mainly from cans—canned beans, canned fruit, canned peas, etc. If you think you will be using a can opener daily, an electronic can opener is for you. A good electronic can opener should have stainless steel blades that can cut a lid smoothly in a single 360 degrees rotation. Size-wise, it should be able to open even the largest cans you have. Check if it has a lid magnet to prevent the lid from falling into the can after it is cut. It should be easy to clean and use. Lastly, it must have a space-saving design.
Best manual can openers
A manual can opener can be taken on camping trips, hiking, and various outdoor activities. It is just perfect for opening a few cans.
- EZ-Duz-It is very safe for people to use. It cuts the lids of cans with ease. It has an easy to turn knob compared to other can openers. While it is rather heavy, the weight is manageable. It is suitable for any tin size. It is believed to have the best cutting power and most durable.
- Made in USA Can Opener is an American classic. It existed since 1954. To use it, press the cutting blade on the top of the lip, hold the handle pad,s and turn the crank after a rotation is almost completed. Take one of those butter knives around the house and flip the lid up. After using it, clean with hot water or vinegar. It is known for its durability and efficiency. The only disadvantage of this can opener is it leaves sharp edges.
- The OXO Steel Can Opener is easy to use. It is made of sleek stainless steel. It comes with a built-in bottle opener cap. The cutting wheels are very well sharpened. While it has an ergonomic design, it is not the best one of its kind. The reason is that the metal coverings of the handle slide down. There are many good reviews for its convenience and durability. The disadvantages of this opener are it is difficult to clean and the handles may slide.
- Kuhn Auto Safety Master Opener is good for different kinds of cans. Being a side cutter just like the Hamilton Beach model, it does not come into contact with the content of the can. To use, place it on the top of the can with the two half circles lined with the can’s rim and twist the knob. It will grip the lid and cut. Remove the top of the can using the mini plier’s push button. This can opener is dishwasher safe. One disadvantage of this is the knob is a bit difficult to turn.
- Bartelli Soft Edge 3-in-1 Ambidextrous Safety is perfect for both left-handed and right-handed users. It has a large thumbwheel, making it easy to turn. It’s quite small so it should fit perfectly in most kitchens. It is priced at $13.
- Good Cook Classic Safe Cut Can is a nicely designed can opener. Its cutting wheels don’t come in contact with the food when you use it. Since it’s made of heavy-duty material, it can cut through bigger cans, even if it’s rather small. It is small, easy to use, and durable.
- Zyliss Manual Opener Lock N’ Lift seems to have everything figured out. It comes with a pair of pliers. These pliers make it usable without any squeezing motion. It gets locked into place with the help of the magnet once fitted on the can. You do not have to worry about slipping off. When the lid is cut, the magnet holds it so that it does not fall. It requires little to no effort to handle it.
Best electric can openers
If electric can openers are your thing, read on. Check out some of the best electric can openers in the market.
- Zyliss Lock N’ Lift Can Opener comes with a lid lifter magnet, making it one of the few user-friendly can openers available. With the help of the magnet that’s connected to a release lever, your hands will not even touch the lid of a can. It comes with an ergonomic design that gives the user comfort and efficiency. It should be hand-washed only and cleaned with a soft towel. Don’t submerge into water as it will lose its 5-year warranty.
- The Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Can Opener is a good option for those who struggle with manual can openers. All you have to do is to put the can in contact with the blade and push the lever. One complete rotation and the lid is removed. Despite its large size, its futuristic build will prove to be a good addition to your kitchen. It comes with a blade that cuts along the side of the can rather than on top of it.
- Cuisinart CCO-50BKN Deluxe offers convenience, fashion and power. It has black and chrome accents, little to no noise, and automatically shuts off the system once the job is finished. It comes with a power cut cable.
- Sokos is an electric portable version that uses batteries. All it takes is one press of the button and it will do its magic. It comes with a built-in magnet, making this a hands-free process. Its plastic body is lightweight, making it comfortable to handle.
- Black & Decker Spacemaker Under-the-Cabinet Can Opener is a great discovery! It holds the can by itself and stops automatically when the can is opened. It is easy to store too. It comes with an on-board bottle opener, knife sharpener, and bag cutter.
- Chef’s Star Smooth Edge Automatic Electric Can Opener comes with top quality features, material, and design. It needs four AA batteries. With just a touch of a button, it can open any type and sizes of cans. It is very safe as after cutting the lid, the edges will remain smooth. The side-cutting system allows you to reseal the can as well. It twists to 360 degrees without you having to do anything. It comes in a compact size, making it easy for storage. The downside is that if you need it to open many cans a day, this should not be your first choice, as it wears out rather quickly.
Make a list of what’s important for you in a can opener. From there, you can choose whether you’ll go for manual or electric. The various models mentioned above are some of the best, but other models in the market may suit your needs better.