The Pastelito Necklace Project
Crochet is one of my favorite pastimes. With practice, you can do it while you are watching TV, true multitasking at its best. The Pastelito Necklace is a super pretty design that is easy to make and enjoyable to wear!
I’m going to assume that you have some crochet skills and talk more about the materials and steps. When you nail the technique for slip sewing around the metal circles, you can whip out this unusual accessory effortlessly.
- My favorite 2 mm crochet hook
- A variety of cotton DMC weaving string or yarn in pastel colors
- Thirty to forty 8-10mm external measurement jump rings
- My favorite jewelry making scissors
- Two 14- to 15-mm glass flower beads in pastel green, or similar complimentary color
- 3 ft/1 m 3/8 inch Double face silk or satin ribbon in a pastel color
Note: Instead of using jump rings, you can use ordinary washers. If you decide to go this route, make sure that they are of a relatively large bore (the diameter of the hole). This will make them easier to sew around and thread.
Be careful what type of metal you use. Aluminum can bend and tarnish, and iron will rust. If you want to enjoy your new necklace and perhaps give some as gifts, make sure that they will last. A nice brass and silver plated jump ring will be worth the effort of sourcing. This is what I linked to above. The second best choice would be nickel plated.
Step 1: Using your crochet hook and different colors of cotton DMC string, slip sew around the circles, totally covering them. Cut your string and tie a twofold hitch or double knot on every circle to secure the crochet. Trim the extra string.
Step 2: Thread your ribbon through one of the glass flower beads, then through the rest of the finished crocheted jump rings. String the second glass flower bead at the flip side.
Step 3: Tie a twofold hitch on either side of the mass of jump rings to secure the circles and secure the set up. To wear, tie the necklace at the length you like according to what matches the rest of your outfit.
* Use different sized circles to express a different look.
* Try a monochromatic color palette for a subtler finished effect.
* Use bright colors for when you are in a party mood!
* Make two necklaces, of different lengths, to make a double necklace combo.
* Alternate the jump rings with the glass flower beads.
* Use multiple ribbons of a smaller width using complimentary colors.