The Pocket Door is used for architectural purposes or mainly for when there is not enough space for a hinged door to swing safely.
Pocket door or Cavity door is a term for a type of door which is installed within the cavity of a wall so it is hidden from plain view or site meaning it is concealed from plain view.
After a period of time the door frames in your home will start to move a little, due to the house construction settling.
This is common and it will create small gaps between the door and door frame.
Pocket Door – How to Fix Pocket Door
Fixing Pocket Door or Cavity Slider problems like gaps can easily be fixed by adjusting the doors runners at the top which are located behind the fillet piece.
We will show you step by step how to fix the door gap by adjusting the track unit door holders.
Step 1 – The first thing that we need to do is remove the fillet piece of timber that hides the cavity sliders door adjustable runners.
Using a small screw driver, pop the top of the caps off the plastic screw caps. This will reveal the screws which hold the fillet piece in position.
Step 2 – The second thing we need to do is remove the (2) screws from the top fillet piece (If the screws or caps have paint on them which is making them hard to remove, use a sharp knife to split the joint).
Step 3 – After the screws are removed from their location we can then take the fillet piece off completely. We are then able to remove the fillet piece giving us access to the door runners for adjustment.
Place a registration mark or pencil mark so you know which way the fillet piece goes around. This will make sure that it is installed back the way it came out.
Step 4 – The third thing that we will need to do is get our manufacturers adjustment tool. This tool will allow adjustment of both top runner to close or open the doors gap on the side at the top and bottom.
NOTE: The door can be completely adjusted any time by following this procedure.
After making your adjustments to the door, make sure to replace the fillet piece after tightening all the bolts, nuts, etc.
Place the covers over the screw caps and wipe clean to complete job.
Pocket Door – Installing Pocket Doors
The timber frame opening for the pocket door will need to be tight but still allow packing of 10mm to 15mm or (1/2″) around the unit.
This will give you a little movement to create a plumb closing jamb and level head/track for fixing the pocket door frame too.
Pocket door how to assemble pocket door.
1. Fit and screw steal head/track to top of cavity unit.
2. Fix closing jamb to head/track.
3. Stand cavity unit into frame opening.
4. Make sure split jambs are plumb.
5. Fix unit through back post into frame.
6. Level the head track, fix to trimmer.
7. Plumb closing jamb, pack then fix into frame.
Pocket door how to install pocket door.
1. Check door size is the correct for the cavity unit.
2. Check to make sure doors is straight without any imperfections.
3. Attach door plates on top edge of door.
4. Slide door into cavity unit sitting it on the sliders in the track.
5. Adjust height with manufacturer’s tool by losing or tightening sliders.
6. Fasten door guides at the bottom of the split jambs.
7. Cut pelmet/fillet piece to length for covering head/track.
8. Fasten pelmet/fillet piece to unit to cover and hide head/track.
This is guest post from: APPS 4 BUILDERS