Collect cardboard tubes to make this clever countdown calendar. It looks pretty hung on a wall and contains little surprises for each December day until Christmas.
What you’ll need
- cardboard tubes
- compass or string tied to pencil
- scissors (an adult’s job)
- acrylic paint
- tacky glue
- aluminum foil
- string for hanging
- 24 trinkets or treats
- glue dots
How to make it
1. To cut the pieces for the base, utilize a compass or string attached to a pencil to stamp 16-inch and 6-inch concentric circles on a strong piece of cardboard. Cut along the lines.
2. For the cubbies, cut 24 portions from cardboard tubes of different sizes; we used paper-towel tubes, oatmeals container, and a potato-chip tube, cutting them at lengths extending from 1 to 2 1/2 inches.
3. To assemble the wreath, coat the base and a percentage of the tube portions with acrylic paint and gave them a chance to dry. Use tacky glue to cover different portions with aluminum foil and, if you like, leave a couple of unadorned.
4. Arrange the tube fragments on the base, attaching each one with a line of glue around the lowest part edge. Tie a circle of string to the wreath for hanging.
5. Fill the wreath with 24 wrapped, numbered trinkets or treats, securing them with glue dots if required.