Making a fabric tote could prove to be useful if you have the neccessary things to do it with. It can be used to wear it with you when you go shopping. As it is foldable it does not take too much space from your purse, but it will actually be quite big to put enough things in.
Things to use:
- 2 pieces of fabric 15 x 10 inches
- 2 pieces of fabric 15 x 6 inches
- 2 pieces of fabric 4 x 16 inches
- 6 inches of thin elastic
- 1 button
- sewing machine
- bobby pins
Things to do:
- Take the piece of elastic, fold it and put it in the center of one of the 15 inches fabric. This actually represents the front of the tote.
- Take a contrasting panel and put it on top of the previous fabric piece, over the elastic. Make sure you sew it at the machine with a zig-zag stich. Use the same with the other pieces of material and contrasting fabrics.
- After you make the front and the back, turn them inside out and sew them together at the sewing machine. Make sure you also close the bottom at the end of making the right and left parts. This is the final part of your actual tote. You can set it aside until you create the straps.
- Take the material you have prepared for the straps and fold it in half, then fold it again with the edges inside. Start sewing over the edges.
- Now all the pieces of the tote are ready, all you need to do is to stick them together. Take the bobby pins and stick the straps to the bpdy of the tote. Sew 2 seams in order to hold the straps to the bag.
- Take the button you have prepared and sew it three inches above the elastic, This is it, make sure you can fold the bag, fold it and start using it.